Lakota Local Schools is fortunate to have each of our clinics managed by a full-time registered nurse. Our nurses play an essential role in the daily and chronic health needs of our students, both as a medical professional and as an advocate for safety and health of all students and staff.
Recognizing the physical, emotional, and social needs of the students enables the nurse to advocate and educate for their needs to promote optimal learning in the school setting. Health Services provides a long list of services, some of which include:
- Daily management of the clinic and observation and reporting of health trends;
- Administration of medications and nursing procedures as prescribed by a physician and set forth by District policy;
- Providing first aid and referrals as needed for community resources;
- Developing and educating emergency action plans for students with critical health needs;
- Performing mandated vision and hearing screenings and refers for follow-up as needed;
- Maintaining health records and immunization compliance within the state requirements; and
- Collaborating and consulting with staff regarding student’s health concerns and needs in the school setting.
General Information from the Clinic
Please call our school nurse with any questions you may have: (513) 777-0552, option 2.
Meet Our Nurse
Melissa Kahsar has served as the School Nurse at Ridge Jr. since August 2014. She received her Bachelor of Science degree from Purdue University, and her Master of Science in Nursing degree from Xavier University. Ms. Kahsar received additional specialized training in School Nursing through Wright State University, and she is licensed as a School Nurse through the Ohio Department of Education. Furthermore, Ms. Kahsar received certification as a School Nurse through the National Board for Certification of School Nurses. Prior to becoming a School Nurse, Ms. Kahsar studied and worked for over 20 years in the field of Medical and Molecular Genetics, conducting scientific research and human genetic testing.